Below is the agenda of the training opportunities that will be presented/facilitated at the conference of the State Education Association Communicators (SEAC), to be held June 4-7, 2017, at the Hilton Vancouver Washington.
- Registration begins on Sunday, June 4 at 4 p.m.
- The New Member Reception is at 5 p.m. on Sunday, June 4
- The Opening Reception is at 6:30 p.m. on Sunday, June 4.
- The Awards Luncheon is on Tuesday, June 6, at 1:45 p.m. at the Portland City Grill.
- The SEAC business meeting is tentatively scheduled for no earlier than 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, June 7.
In order to take advantage of all that the conference has to offer, we recommend that you schedule your flight to arrive before 4 p.m. on June 4. For departure, we recommend that you schedule your flight home for Thursday, June 8.
The nearest airport is Portland International Airport (PDX), which is less than 30 minutes from the Hilton Vancouver, traffic permitting.
We look forward to seeing you in Vancouver, Washington!
Making Your Case: Strategic Public Affairs Communications in the Trump Era Ragan Communications Consultant Nick Lanyi will lead this interactive session. Based in Washington, D.C., Lanyi has two decades of experience in journalism and public affairs. He will provide a different perspective on our work advocating for public education in a Trump/DeVos era.
Panel Discussion Around Friedrichs and the Cases to Come
The panel will include those who worked on the communications and media strategies in the Friedrichs v. CTA case. The panel will also address new anti-union cases making their way to the U.S. Supreme Court and discuss how state affiliates can handle them now and in the future.
A session with Brett Bigham
Brett Bigham, a special education teacher and Oregon EA member, was the 2014 Oregon Teacher of the Year. He came to national prominence when his school district ordered him not to say publicly that he is gay, demanded the right to monitor his public and personal speaking and writing, and attempted to fire him when he refused to allow district control of his speech. Bigham is an inspiring and entertaining speaker who will also address the OEA’s role in protecting his interests and due-process rights.
Hosted by NJEA staffers Rich Wilson and Mike Ritzius, Pro-Action Café is part of a larger movement known as The Art of Hosting and Harvesting Conversations That Matter. The Art of Hosting is a highly effective way of harnessing the collective wisdom and self-organizing capacity of groups of any size. Based on the assumption that people give their energy and lend their resources to what matters most to them—in work as in life—the Art of Hosting blends a suite of powerful conversational processes to invite people to step in and take charge of the challenges facing them. Pro-action café is a process by which you can harness the “wisdom of the room” for projects you may be working on back home.
National Education Association – General Session Speaker
A speaker to be announced will be provided by NEA.
Rapid Roundtables with NEA Center for Communications
Ramona Oliver, senior director for the NEA Center for Communications will offer general remarks and lead this topic rotation.
Lunch Table Topics
Set for an extended lunch on Wednesday, we’ll ask SEAC members throughout Monday and Tuesday to offer topics of interest for non-directed discussion at Wednesday’s lunch. We’ll reserve tables based upon discussion topics for Wednesday’s lunch.
Note: The slots during which individual breakout sessions are scheduled may change as final details are settled. A breakout session rendered in red is an indication that details are not yet confirmed, but the workshop is planned to be presented.
Monday, June 5
Breakout Session 1
- Snapchat as an Organizing and Engagement Tool
- Harnessing the Digital Revolution
- Photography – The Basics
- Media Grant Roundtables and PR Campaigns for Members and the Public
Breakout Session 2
- Writing the Right Call to Action
- Psychographics for Marketing
- Strategic Approach to Social Media
- Photography – Making Your Everyday Shots Come Alive
Tuesday, June 6
- Website Trends
- Salesforce Marketing
- Graphic Design for Social Change
- New State Communicators Orientation (NEA)
Wednesday, June 7
Breakout Session 1
- Building a Mobile App
- Building Engagement with Facebook Business Manager
- Activating Members for Social Justice
- Digital Advertising
Breakout Session 2
- Using Mobile Apps and SMS Texting to Build Member Engagement
- Building Personas for Targeted Member Connection
- Using Adobe Premiere Pro
- Design and Layout Trends